Power of Ten Update
In This Issue:
1. County Legislators Send Message to Governor Cuomo in Support of State Monitor for ERCSD
2. NAACP: Remember Selma by fighting for East Ramapo
3. Yeshiva Parents: ‘Our Children Deserve an Education Too’
4. Questions and Answers from a former New Square Yeshiva Teacher
5. NYCLU: Tax Credit Bill would transfer our public tax dollars to private and religious schools.
1) County Legislators Send Message to Governor Cuomo in Support of State Monitor for ERCSD
Rockland County Legislators sent a letter to Governor Andrew Cuomo in support of NYS Senate and Assembly bills (S.3821/A.5355) that if passed, would authorize the State Commissioner of Education to appoint a state monitor to oversee the East Ramapo Central School District. Copies of the letter have been sent to state legislative leaders and the Commissioner of Education.
A four month-long investigation authorized by the State Commissioner in June of 2014 determined that the district is fiscally stressed, failing academically, with graduation rates well below the statewide average.
Legislator Nancy Low-Hogan said, “We as public officials in Rockland County feel it is our obligation to ensure that all children in the County receive their constitutionally guaranteed right to a ‘sound, basic education.’ Even though school districts have local control, ultimately it is the State’s responsibility to ensure that these constitutional rights are met, thus the need for this legislation.”
The Journal News: Rockland lawmakers back East Ramapo oversight bill
2) NAACP: Remember Selma by fighting for East Ramapo
Those who fought for social justice in the past will always tell you the best way to remember their accomplishments is not by solemn ceremony or joyous celebration, but by continuing the struggle for justice.
3) Yeshiva Parents: ‘Our Children Deserve an Education Too’
An organization called YAFFED has been formed which wants NY State to remember the right to a quality education is guaranteed for ALL children:
The Jewish Week: Bid For Better Secular Ed In Yeshivas Heading Toward Court
Listen to these interviews from The Jewish Daily Forward: Struggle and Triumph of College for Hasidim: “The lack of education is criminal”… “My diploma was not recognized” … “it’s a pretend education” … “In totality, it’s a fraud”.
You can help YAFFED build their campaign here
4) Questions and Answers from a former New Square Yeshiva Teacher
A young father in the insular Skverer sect, Shulem Deen took the one job available to him: teacher. In an exclusive excerpt from his forthcoming memoir, “All Who Go Do Not Return,” which chronicles his painful journey from 18-year-old newlywed to being expelled from New Square as a heretic, he recounts how the need to provide for his growing family led him to practices he would later question.
The Jewish Daily Forward: Lessons of Crime and Punishment in New Square Yeshiva
5) NYCLU: Tax Credit Bill would transfer our public tax dollars to private and religious schools.
You can help stop this very dangerous law which could cost One Billion dollars over four years, and would help subsidize even the “pretend” education that you heard about in the previous item.
Please send a message to NY lawmakers to Protect public education: Reject the private school tax credit