Power of Ten Update
In this Issue:
- Petition for state oversight of East Ramapo is on Fire
- Community View: Gov. Cuomo fails to help East Ramapo
- State to East Ramapo: Special-ed violations continue
- Law stymies savings if district cuts kindergarten
- Please support the class action civil rights lawsuit
1) Petition for state oversight of East Ramapo is on Fire
There are now 500 signers to the petition at www.poweroften.us/petition which was created only 3 days ago. Please share the petition with all your email contacts and friends on Facebook.
There is a Facebook event page at: http://www.facebook.com/events/342604792513847/ Clicking “Going” to the event is a great way to show your support and also an easy way to spread the word.
Expect to get a confirmation email for your petition signature. Please add email@example.com to your “safe sender” list, (aka contact list, friend list or address book) to ensure that the confirmation goes to your inbox.
2) Community View: Gov. Cuomo fails to help East Ramapo
Activist Carole Anderson has been sending articles about East Ramapo to Governor Cuomo. She says it seems like East Ramapo is being allowed to go down the tubes.
Read the whole essay at: http://www.lohud.com/article/20121222/OPINION/312220066/1019
3) Newsday: State gives East Ramapo a third notice of Special-ed violations
State officials have sent the East Ramapo school district a third formal notice stating that the district’s programs for special-education students violate state and federal laws. The state appears poised to move toward taking over the district, if officials continue to flout education law. Read the full article here: http://newyork.newsday.com/rockland/state-to-east-ramapo-special-ed-violations-continue-1.4364167
4) Journal News: Law stymies savings if district cuts kindergarten
A state law entitles 5-year-olds to a public education regardless of whether a school district has a kindergarten program.
5) Please support the class action lawsuit:
Advocates for Justice, a New York based, non-profit, public interest law firm, has filed a class action, civil rights lawsuit on behalf of East Ramapo School District parents, students, and taxpayers.
Advocates for Justice is not charging us a fee for this action, but they are in need funds to continue this fight. They are asking us to contribute what we can. Monthly amounts are especially helpful (and easier on tight family budgets!)
Be part of the solution, contribute online, or mail a check to:
Advocates for Justice
225 Broadway, Suite 1902
New York, NY 10007